Monday, April 14, 2014

"What Do YOU Think of This Jacket?"

Some ANSWERS

For Kelsi

I love it
Sassy
The studs are alright, but the diamond pattern takes away from the studs.
girlish
It's a girl's jacket
It fits you but it won't fit everybody else
The 70's
Maroon
Vintage
I like the bling
Fucking Randy/Rock Solid--This person also said "white power" after walking away.
It's a little Miley
80's

For Alex

Belongs in a Thriller video
Michael Jackson
Hip-hop
Fits him
It goes good with your outfit
I think you let him borrow it for the night
Don't wear that jacket, brother
cool, sweet, nice
Michael Jackson
Dolly Parton
Just fucking go for it
you can wear whatever you want here, man!
it's kinda small on you


Looking back on the answers I notice how some of my predictions were proved correct--our genders DID influence peoples' answers. Of course they were influenced by other things as well...

Some people were honest (only one person told me the jacket didn't fit me), some people were creative and really ran with the answers, and some people had only bluntness to offer in their answers. But the fact that they were the ones coming up with the answers, and Kelsi/I was wearing the jacket made the whole experience collaborative and "relational" in the Bourriaud sense because it was a situation in which people were able to think more deeply about something that is essentially inconsequential. ALSO, I am still reeling about what the art actually turned out to be. The peoples' answers? The video? The jacket?










Here is the video sans all the helpful corrections everyone suggested (sorry).



"What Do You Think of This Jacket?" from Golas on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the experience of hearing your questions and the participants answers to the jacket. One thing I did favor over the overall jacket experience was the way you put together the piece in post-production. Even though Imovie effects are faux pas in the cinema world, I think it worked with the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. That is a stellar jacket.
    2. I think you did a great job with the text animations! The animations seem to really capture the emotions that the people exerted about the jacket. I did think some of the scrolling text was a bit fast. IDK if you can slow that down

    ReplyDelete